13th June 2013 – London
I attended a great event to cement the relationship between University Careers Services from around the UK and Talent Retention Solutions. The event took place in the lovely surroundings of Parliament Square in London at the headquarters of Finmeccanica UK.
TRS was developed by the government and includes some big-name sponsors in Siemens, BAE, Shell, Nissan, EDF Energy, and Airbus. The whole aim is to encourage skills retention within the UK and specifically in the Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering sector.
The culmination of this partnership is the development of a website which as well as improving the links between employers and Universities specifically promotes placement and graduate jobs in the Engineering sector.
A wide range of speakers from the large Engineering companies present provided an overview of the current situation within their organisation and why it is important to recruit engineers for the benefit of UK plc. A summary of the main discussion points, including a few headline quotes, I brought back from the day can be found below:
- The larger employers are very keen to develop links with Universities and have been doing this actively over the past few years.
- ” The key discriminator between a good and great company is the ability to recruit, retain and develop talent“
- 100,000 STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) employees are needed per year to sustain current growth levels
- The UK produces 23,000 Engineering graduates each year and has the lowest female gender ratio in Engineering in North Western Europe
- Within the Offshore Wind Supply Chain, one large company will need 70,000 more workers by 2020
- “Communication and Leadership skills generally let students down when attending an assessment centre”
- “Volunteering and Work Experience are extremely important to get hands-on experience in a variety of areas”
The final point is probably the most important one in that the TRS website is free for students and graduates so visit the website and set up a profile now. If you want some support you know who to ask!